Thursday, March 27, 2008

The truth will set you free, but first it will make you miserable.

Facebook is an evil thing. Oh sure, it's great for staying in touch with friends who've moved away, or who you just don't like enough to talk to in person. But really, it's for stalking and spying.

There's this new feature that provides a list of people you might know, based on mutual friends. The purpose is to help you connect with old friends you might not otherwise be able to find, I think. I started clicking though and found a TON of kids I graduated from Bonas with. Not really friends, I stay in touch with those I care about, but acquaintances, classmates, people I saw around campus every day.

It depressed me, not because I miss school (although I do), but because most of these people are DOING something with their lives. They live all over the country, work for all sorts of great companies, etc. We all started out in University 101 together back in 2001, that dumb mandatory freshman orientation class. Now, three years after we said goodbye to Bonaventure, the class of 2005 is out there rocking at life.

Where am I? Still in my childhood bedroom. That's a favorite poor-me phrase of mine. I know, I know, I have a great job in my field, it's smart to stay home and save money (or stay home and spend money, which is closer to the truth), I'm so lucky to not have to pay rent, buy groceries, fight with a landlord.

You know what? It's not that great. Sure, I totally have it made, but I feel like living at home is holding me back. I feel like I'm still a child. I haven't left the nest yet, partially for financial reasons, but also because I'm terrified at the thought of leaving home. I know I need to do it, and I will, soon, I swear. It's just... complicated. And also, I'm a giant whiner.

No comments: