Thursday, March 13, 2008

I knew this would happen...

I had to drop by Hilbert yesterday. Haven't been there since December 14, my very last grad class. I walked through the library and remembered the last time I was in that building, waiting to present my thesis. All of the emotions that I felt that night came rushing back for a minute... anxiety, excitement, relief. It was strange.

I ran into a girl who's in the middle of the IMC program in the computer lab. We started chatting and she went on about the class she was in, all the work she had to do, how stressful it was and the research, oh the research. I chuckled a little bit on the inside.

I miss school. God damn it, three months ago I was D.O.N.E. Never going back. Sooooo sick if it. Sick of sitting in class, the writing, the late nights, the textbook readings, the case study analyzations, the open discussions. I guess I'll never be sick of learning though. Can't get enough of it. Nerd.

Maybe I'm just bored. This happened when I finished my undergrad. I got caught in the monotony of working 9-5, I felt stale, like my life had no meaning. There was a brief time when I considered joining the Peace Corps or going somewhere to teach ESL. Then I decided I didn't want to move to Africa and not get paid for two years.

If I could get a second master's for free, I'd totally do it. That $60K in student loans is going to prevent me from taking my education any further on my own though. Oy. It hurts every month when I write those checks to the student loan corporation leeches that suck the life out of my checking account. I hate you.

I feel drawn to higher eduction in some way, I don't really know why, but I just do. Maybe I'll get a job at a university some day and be able to go to school for free. Maybe I'll become a professor. What a scene that would be.

Got a letter from Bonaventure today. They're having a surprise recognition dinner for Don and Mary Swanz, the Bonas professor and his wife that took us to China (I'm not really worried about either of them reading this blog and ruining the surprise.) The Swanz's took Bonas kids to China for twelve years and I was lucky enough to go on their last trip. They're awesome people and I'm looking forward to going to the dinner and seeing some of the China crew. It will be fun to swap stories with other people that have gone as well.

Maybe I can feed my desire for learning through travel. That's probably cheaper than a second master's.

No comments: