Monday, February 2, 2009

Not-So-Super Ads

Football is the greatest sport in the history of the universe and the Super Bowl is the greatest day in the history of the greatest sport. I love the Big Game for many reasons- the game itself, the parties, the stories behind the players and coaches, the history and most of all, the commercials.

You see, although I'm a huge football fan, I'm a huger marketing nerd. Clever, targeted advertising fascinates me. My favorite part of graduate school was reviewing examples of great ad campaigns, looking at print ads, watching commercials and discussing their strengths and weaknesses.

That being said, I was sorely disappointed with the Super Bowl ads this year. In 2008, we had jewels like Bridgestone's "The Scream," E*Trade's "Baby Trading 1" and "Baby Trading 2" (my personal favorite,) and Pepsi's "Magnetic Attraction" featuring Justin Timberlake, which made me squirt a beverage out of my nose. Those commercials grabbed my attention, kept me engaged, made me laugh and most importantly, I remembered the product.

Maybe we can blame it on the economy and companies not having the budgets to let their agencies get the creative juices flowing, but I just wasn't impressed this year. Maybe I was just upset that Peyton Manning didn't make an appearance and the E*Trade baby golf ad wasn't that funny. Whatever the reason, I only enjoyed a select few and think they deserve some attention.

I thought Bridgesone had another winner in 2009 with "Taters." I was intrigued my Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head driving down the road, so I wanted to keep watching. The product was prominently featured and Mrs. Potato Head's angry eyes were darn funny.

CareerBuilder's "Tips" reminded me of Bridgestone's "The Scream" from last year. Any commercial featuring a woman screaming her lungs out is sure to grab attention, but the key is to make it funny and not obnoxious. They succeeded, making me laugh hysterically because I could relate to daydreaming about porpoises and wanting to cry everyday because I was so disrespected and hated my job so much. (Not my current job!)

Teleflora's "Flowers in a Box" also got a giggle fit out of me. From the annoying, overweight woman who complains that she never gets flowers to the line, "No one wants to see you naked," I laughed from start to finish. The ad made a lot of sense too - you never know what flowers in a box will look like when they get delivered, it's so much better to send fresh ones!

My favorite ad campaign of Super Bowl 2009 had to be the Miller High Life one-second commercials because the premise was so clever! According to an article in the Boston Herald, Miller was blocked from buying Super Bowl ad time by Budweiser's exclusive contract. So, they bought air time in one-second increments on local NBC affiliates carrying the game. The ads were a continuation of a spot that ran last year featuring a delivery man ranting about Super Bowl ads.

I suppose those who didn't know the history behind the campaign were confused by an angry man yelling, "High Life!" on their television screens and perhaps thought they were seeing things. Miller got so much free publicity surrounding the campaign though, I think it was worth it. They got around the competition, spent a whole lot less on advertising and got their message across to those who knew what was going on. Oh yea, and it was hilarious!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

taters was best. by FAR!