Saturday, February 21, 2009

Flight 3407

It's been almost ten days since the horrific crash of Continental Flight 3407. I couldn't blog about it right away because just listening to details made me really sad, let alone thinking and processing it enough to write. News stories about the people behind the tragedy still bring tears to my eyes.

As Americans, we've lived through plenty of wide-scale tragedy. I've watched news coverage of absolutely horrific, unexpected events - September 11, Hurricane Katrina, dozens of plane crashes, car accidents, etc. I've seen the faces of victims' loved ones, fear stricken and hysterical over their sudden losses. I've felt empathy and sadness for them, I've cried for them and prayed for them.

But this time, it was different. It happened in Buffalo, MY city, and that made it personal. Those first few days after the crash were nerve-wracking, I held my breath waiting for the full list of victims. Out of fifty people in Buffalo, you're bound to know someone. I knew my close friends and family were safe, but horrible thoughts about acquaintances, old co-workers and schoolmates took over my brain. Thankfully, I didn't know any of the people that died.

Knowing that certainly makes dealing with emotions easier, but I still feel horrible for the victims' families. So many stories about their loved ones have surfaced, I almost feel like I knew them. I want to reach through the T.V. and give them a big hug.

There was a chilling calm over the city the day after the crash that lasted for a few days. Everywhere you went - to work, the store, the gas station - you didn't know if the people you were interacting with had been affected. People were nicer to each other, at least the people I came across. It's funny how tragedy brings people together.

If those who lost a loved one can take comfort in anything, it's knowing that they are not alone. There is a whole community of people, most of them complete strangers, who truly care and want to help. Dozens of Facebook groups have popped up, offering kind words and support. Petitions to get Extreme Makeover: Home Edition to build the Wielinksi family a new house after their home was the only one destroyed in the crash have been circulating around Buffalo homes, schools and offices. The folks at Tony Walker & Co. have designed a One City, One Heart t-shirt, with all proceeds going to the family. Prayer services, fundraising efforts, thoughts, prayers and general good will abound.

As a community, it will take some time to heal, but if one thing is true of Buffalonians it's that you can't keep us down. We'll do everything we can to help those whose lives were changed forever, helping ourselves and each other in the process.

No comments: