Tuesday, December 4, 2007

"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some hire public relations officers."

My job is pretty cool. For years, I thought that an ad agency would be a good place for me and now I'm doing it and loving it. When I interviewed, they were concerned about the transition I would have to make from an entertainment background to industrial, b-to-b industries. I made up something about how it's the process of marketing communications that I am passionate about, the industry doesn't matter. I didn't know if that was true at the time, but it was convincing enough to get me a job.

Honestly, I was nervous about the clients I'd be dealing with. How boring is it to write press releases about paint and cleaning products all day? Turns out, not boring at all. Most of my clients fall into the "building and construction" category, topics I know very little about, but I love the challenge of researching and figuring it out. I love coming home and talking to my dad about radiant heating and actually holding up my end of the conversation. I realize this makes me a gigantic dork. It's definitely not for everyone, but it is for me and that's a really good feeling.

In a way, I enjoy the fact that not just anyone could cut it, doing what my department does. Doing what my agency does, really. I work with some incredibly smart and talented people and I feel lucky to be a part of that mix.

I'm also learning that public relations is so much more than writing press releases. It's about telling stories, selling your hook and most important, relationship building. When I left the Fair, it was really sad to leave behind all of the wonderful people I got to work with each year. But I'm making new contacts and building new relationships now, and its great.

The best part of my job is the writing. I am writing SOMETHING... an e-mail pitch, a press release, interview questions... for more than half of every day. Most of the rest of the time, I'm verbally communicating on the phone or in person with someone. The best part is, I have a wonderful mentor who is willing to help me become a better communicator just because he's passionate about what we do as well. A fellow Bona grad, he's an incredible writer and will take something I've painstakingly put together and rip it apart. I LOVE IT! I'm learning and growing so much; it's such a refreshing change.

So, it turns out that my spur of the moment answer actually is true. I'm passionate about the process and I'm being given the tools to take my passion and run with it.

No comments: