Sunday, December 9, 2007

A Jaded Company Christmas

Yesterday was my office holiday party, my first real corporate social function. The Fair had a Christmas party, but it was more for members of the Ag society than employees and I had to work the Chinese auction table every year, so I couldn't just relax and enjoy myself.

The party was at a fancy-pants golf course clubhouse in Lockport. The building was beautiful and it was really nice to see my co-workers all dressed up outside of the office. I met lots of husbands, wives and significant others of the people I work with and everyone was really nice. There were over 100 people there, so it was a good crowd and I think everyone had fun for the most part.

There were still a few people that complained though. The food was bad, the drinks were watered down, they made us play games, the music was cheesy, etc. Being a newbie and not yet jaded, I found this a little annoying. The company threw us a party, a free party with free drinks and free food and free music and free raffles with free prizes and we could have brought a guest for free too. What's to complain about? My mom works at a hospital with doctors that have more money than God and she has to pay $35 per person for a ticket to her company's holiday party. Take what you can get, people.

Then I thought about the Fair and how I used to complain about that holiday party (as I did in the first paragraph of this blog). It wasn't really for employees, I had to work during it, we only got a few free drink tickets, the food was bad, everyone wore a cowboy tie, etc. I'm sure I complained a lot more about my last party than I did about my first. I became jaded over the years and left that place full of resent and disappointment.

I really hope that doesn't happen at my new job. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but that's hard to do when everyone around me who has been working there for several years or more is constantly complaining about the company. How do you prevent becoming jaded? I've taken everything that I've heard, good and bad, with a grain of salt and I'm doing my best to form my own opinions as I gain first hand knowledge and experience. So far, the experience has been pretty damn good.

If the company's values align with your own, you believe in the company's mission and you are satisfied with your position at that company, then becoming jaded shouldn't happen. But is anyone ever truly satisfied? There's always something...salary, an annoying co-worker, benefits... to complain about even if you really like your job. I think it's human nature to always want more.

At 24, it's hard to see myself settling down at one company for the rest of my life. I like the confidence and recognition that come with seniority though, I really am enjoying what I do at this new job and I hope that enjoyment continues. I'm sure that in time, my wide-eyed appreciation for free holiday parties will be replaced by complaints about dry chicken and 80s rock ballads, but I'll try to be conscious of my whininess level so I don't scare the newbies.

No comments: