Monday, August 11, 2008

Going to the chapel, but NOT getting married!

It’s been a busy summer. Or maybe it’s just been a boring summer. Either way, I haven’t had much of a desire to blog lately. I’m trying to get back into it though. I think it’s important to keep writing, especially writing for pleasure.

The Militello-Barrie wedding went off without a hitch. The ceremony was lovely, the weather held out, the reception turned out to be a great party and everyone got along swimmingly.

No sooner did I stumble in the door, bridesmaid shoes in hand, than I found an invitation to yet another bridal shower on my kitchen table. One of my closest friends from college is getting married in October. I haven’t talked to the girl in a year, and even then it was only a quick hello-goodbye. I’ve made many attempts to stay in touch with the bride-to-be, along with a second girl that made up our threesome at Bonas. Every one of my emails and phone calls has been ignored, but I’m invited to the shower and bachelorette party in a few weeks.

Thankfully, I’ll be out of town for the shower and her wedding falls on the same day as another wedding that I’m standing up in. I think it’s a bit ridiculous to cut people out of your life and then ask them to buy you presents. I know we’re all busy and keeping in touch is difficult, but if that’s the road you want to take, stay on it.

In total, seven weddings will take place in my social circle this year. Some of them are my best friends; some of them are barely acquaintances, but seven couples that I know one way or another will be married by the end of the year. That’s fourteen people total, all approximately my age, saying “I do.”

That makes me feel oooooooold. And also, a little unaccomplished. If my friends aren’t getting married this year, they’re at least moving into their own apartments. Some of them are even moving across the country. Where am I? Living comfortably with mom and dad, still hanging out in my childhood bedroom, with no hope of new digs in sight. My financial situation just won’t allow it and most of the blame can be put on student loans. American Education Services and Great Lakes Higher Education Corporation and the HSBC Education Loan program OWN me.

I had a long talk with a dear friend about feeling like I’m being left in the dust as everyone around me accelerates into real adulthood. She said screw adulthood; let’s go teach abroad for a semester. That sounds like a lot more fun than wedding bells.

No comments: